Thursday, November 26, 2009

Straightening afro-caribbean hair...?

i used to relax my hair but stopped because i wanted to go back natural...i'm back to natural, but now i'm a bit frustrated (and bored) by it cause my hair is so hard to do anything with...i tried to use curl enhancers and they did nothing...i can't wear my hair down because it goes all crazy and i have no way of controlling it (my hair is curly, wavy, afro and slightly straight in parts....i know:~). i don't want to go back to relaxing cause i don't want to permanently relax my hair so i was thinking of just usin straightening irons. however, my hair is to curly and crimpy to work with JUST the irons. i tried usin the 'loreal hot and straight' product b4 using the irons, but it didnt do much. are there any products specifically for straightening afro hair that would assist the straightening irons, thereby eliminating the option of relaxing?



Straightening afro-caribbean hair...?

Okay, I have really thick, naturally curly (frizzy) hair. I do get relaxers. However, this is what I do when I have not had a relaxer for sometime. I wash and condition my hair with either Pantene Relaxed and Natural or you could use Design Essentials products. They are both great. Then I moisturize my scalp and hair with either, Pantene's moisturizer or Design Essentials moisturizer. I blow dry my hair with a blow dryer that looks like a brush. It has a brush attachment on it. You can buy them at Sally's Beauty Supply. Then, I use the flat iron. It is the only way I can get that salon effect.



If you feel like that is too much heat on your hair, let it dry naturally. I do this often, because it is less work. After you wash, condition, and moisturize, comb your hair until it is untangled. Then, with a hard bristled brush brush it flat to your head (you can brush it into pigtails if your hair is really thick so it will dry more evenly) and pull it back. After you pull it back, tie it down with a head wrap and sleep on it. When it is dry, flat iron it.



Whew! It is a lot but it lasts and it works!



Let me know if you have any questions.



Straightening afro-caribbean hair...?

okay, you'll either have to buy a REALLY nice one like the Chi, but it costs about 120 bucks, or i would get a straightener with a comb attached on it. those work really well too. hope this has helped!



Straightening afro-caribbean hair...?

You need to either get a ceramic flat iron. They are better than just regular straighteners to me. Just remember, you get what you pay for. You also may want to get a straightening comb. They tend to work better than irons. You may want to also use Isoplus (sp) hot iron spay or they cream for that. Also Marcel Wax is a grease that is for hot irons.



Straightening afro-caribbean hair...?

I use Chi on my mildly curly/wavy hair, and it works like a dream. It's expensive, though.



I do firmly reccomend a professional, permanent straightening, but if you really don't want that... I can't suggest much.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
secured loan